Why Own When You Can Share?
Tap on an app, unlock the door and go. Car share members enjoy convenient, short-term trips to a fleet of safe and efficient vehicles in locations around the Twin Cities. Members have the benefits of a car without the expense and hassles of ownership.
Cars are reserved via app or online and rented by the minute, hour or day (depending on the service). Membership and mileage fees are a fraction of ownership costs and include gas/charging, insurance and maintenance. Car sharing is a great way to live a car-light lifestyle, especially for green commuters.
HOURCAR is a Minnesota nonprofit car-sharing organization with a fleet of nearly 50 vehicles in the Minneapolis and Saint Paul area in addition to Rochester, MN. Starting mid-2022, HOURCAR will launch its Multifamliy Program, hosting up to 50 all-electric vehicles at market rate and low-income apartments, expanding its fleet to nearly 100 total vehicles. HOURCAR operates Evie Carshare, an all-electric, free-floating service that is part of the EV Spot Network. Evie Carshare will offer over 150 vehicles in a 35 square mile Home Area Zipcar is a national car-share company with a fleet of 12 vehicles in Minneapolis.
Benefits of Car Sharing
- Fuel, maintenance, and car insurance are covered
- Vehicles are regularly cleaned
- Vehicles are parked at transportation hubs in neighborhoods and business districts, or are free-floating in their Home Area
- Depending on use, each shared car replaces the need for 2 to 20 vehicles
- Membership plans for individuals replace car ownership
- Household memberships reduce the need for multi-car households
- Corporate membership provides cost-effective access to a fleet
- Dedicated daytime membership guarantees the benefits of a private car on workdays
Find Your Car