FlexPass Parking + Transit Commuting Study
FlexPass is an innovative monthly parking option for the ABC Ramps that adds unlimited transit! With FlexPass, you may save money by driving less and switching some trips to transit instead. The University of Minnesota seeks participants to join a research study to help evaluate FlexPass for commuters.
Contribute to Research
Help researchers figure out how to improve commutes, while potentially reducing congestion and pollution in the Twin Cities. We need to find out if FlexPass is part of the solution.
FlexPass costs less than a standard monthly parking contract, plus you’ll get a $60 Visa gift card for participating in the study.
Park when you need it
Get guaranteed parking in the ABC Ramps for either 10 or 14 days per month, depending on which FlexPass option you choose.
Get Unlimited Transit
Take the bus or light rail as often as you want, weekdays and weekends, and get discounted fares on Northstar.
Less Time in Traffic
The average Twin Cities driver commuting during peak travel periods spent 52 hours in traffic in 2019 according to the INRIX Global Traffic Scorecard.
Who can participate
Anyone interested in purchasing a parking contract at ABC Ramps can participate in the study, including existing ABC Ramps contract holders. People who currently own a parking contract at a city-owned and -operated ramp are not eligible to participate in the study.
If you are interested in FlexPass but are ineligible for the research study, use the Enrollment Survey to provide contact information so that you’ll be notified when FlexPass becomes more widely available. This process should take about two minutes.
|FlexPass10: $110 per month||FlexPass14: $125 per month|
|Up to 10 days per month of |
|Up to 14 days per month of |
Both options include:
- Unlimited-ride transit pass from Metro Transit.
- In-and-out privileges on days you park.
- Guaranteed parking space
How it works
You’ll be asked to:
- Complete the 15-minute Enrollment Survey to enroll in the study and verify your eligibility. If you are not eligible for the research study, you can provide your contact information to be notified when FlexPass becomes more widely available. The Enrollment Survey collects travel and demographic information for eligible participants.
- Sign the research study Consent Form. The Consent Form is included in the Enrollment Survey. You may review a static pdf of the form here. The Consent Form details the study procedures and the data that will collected during the study, including travel behavior, parking use, and transit use. If you have questions about the Consent Form, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pick up your FlexPass card. After you sign the Consent Form, you may pick up your card beginning on the 21st day of the month that you enroll. The card can be picked up at the ABC Ramps office located at Ramp A during their business hours (view here). There, you’ll confirm your contract, get your card, and make your first month’s payment. The FlexPass card will activate at the start of the following month. If you have an existing contract with ABC Ramps, that contract will deactivate at the end of the month.
- Download the Daynamica app on your smartphone. After you pick up your card, you will receive a username and password to log in to the mobile app. Daynamica will use location sensing technology (e.g., GPS) on your phone to record trip and activity data throughout the day. The app is available on the App Store (iOS) and Google Play (Android). You will receive more information about using Daynamica during the study.
- Use FlexPass. Use your FlexPass card for both parking and taking the bus or light rail. The card includes an unlimited monthly pass with Metro Transit and discounted rates on Northstar.
- Collect 14 days’ worth of data with Daynamica. While your FlexPass card is active, use the app on a daily basis to confirm your trip and activity details and edit details as needed. This process is fast and easy, and your privacy will be protected. You will receive up to $60 via an electronic Visa gift card for completing Daynamica data collection.
- Complete short in-app surveys. Each activity and trip event will have a few questions associated with it. Confirming details and completing surveys will take about 10–20 minutes per day. Information for how to complete surveys can be found in the Daynamica user guide for FlexPass.
- Respond to a short exit survey at the end of the study period. When you exit the research study or when the study ends, you will be sent an exit survey that takes around 10 minutes to complete
The study is anticipated to end May 1, 2021. All research data collection will end at that time. Participants are allowed to use their FlexPass contract through April 2021. The FlexPass contracts will be terminated at the end of the study. Participants will have the opportunity to purchase other contracts at ABC Ramps including the standard Monthly contract, and other pass products from Metro Transit.
About the study
A team of researchers created the FlexPass Commuting Study to better understand how to reduce single-occupancy vehicle travel to downtown Minneapolis.
The research study is a collaboration among the University of Minnesota, ABC Ramps, Metro Transit, Move Minneapolis, MPLS Parking, and the Minnesota Department of Transportation.