Friday, May 19 was National Bike To Work Day – a day to elevate active transportation, health and wellness, and building community. After a three-year hiatus, Bike To Work Day returned to Minneapolis, celebrating bicycle commuters, recreational riders, and bikers of all abilities at Hennepin County Gov. Center’s Government Plaza for an afternoon event.
Morning Bike To Work Day Pit Stops & “High Fives”
Bicyclists got energized on their morning ride with coffee, snacks, bike swag, and lots of “high fives” at six pit stop locations along bike trails. Bike commuters and a few families on their way to school and daycare stopped by to warm up in the morning chill.
- North Cedar Trail in St Louis Park – Staffed By City of St Louis Park
- North side of Loring Park – Staffed By Minneapolis College BIKE Program
- Peavey Plaza, Nicollet Mall & S, 11th St – Staffed By ABC Ramps Mobility Hub
- N Mpls, N Dowling Ave & N Humbolt/Folwell Park – Staffed By Camden Bicycles
- NE Mpls, East end Stone Arch Bridge, 6th Ave NE – Staffed By Behind Bars Bike Shop
- U of M Bike Center (Hub Bike Coop), 401 SE Oak St – Staffed By U of M Bike Center
The Bike To Work Day Celebration continued in the afternoon at Government Plaza
The Bike To Work Day celebration took place at Government Plaza in front of Hennepin County Government Center. Over a dozen biking and community organizations, and transportation providers exhibited at the event highlighting infrastructure projects and programs, providing bike tune-ups, and offering e-bike and scooter demos.
Featured speakers spoke to current biking initiatives, inspirations, and a vision going forward:
- Elliott Payne, Minneapolis City Council
- Elissa Schufman, Minneapolis Bicycle Advisory Committee
- Kevin Anderson, Hennepin County Commissioner
Group Ride from Government Plaza to NE Minneapolis
The event culminated in a Bike to Work Day group bike ride to the Art-A-Whirl festivities in Northeast Minneapolis!
Share Your Bike to Work Story
There is still time to share your bike to work story! Share your story using this form to be entered into a drawing for one of 5 $20 gift cards to One On One Bicycle Studio, located at 4461 Minnehaha Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55406.
Thank you to all the exhibitors, partners, and Hennepin County and The City of Minneapolis for making the day a huge success!