Ideal for Long-Distance Commutes
Metro Vanpool serves commuters who reside or work in the seven-county metropolitan area. Vanpools host 5 – 15 people who commute together an average of three or more days a week.
Vanpools may use the MnPass Express Lanes and often receive discounted parking.
- Far less expensive than driving alone
- Shorter commute times via express lanes on I94, I35W and I35E
- Multiple vehicle choices
- Door-to-door or park-and-ride options
- Qualifies for IRS Commuter Tax Benefit
- Dramatically reduced pollution impact
- Riders can work, read, stream, chat or nap
- Vanpools are known to promote life-long friendships
- Volunteer drivers commute free!
Who can vanpool?
Participants must live or work in Hennepin, Ramsey, Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Scott or Washington county.
Vans must carry at least five people (including the driver) who share the ride three or more days a week.
The average cost is $110 per month per vanpooler. The Metropolitan Council subsidizes vanpool costs. In some cases, employers also help cover vanpool expenses.
Volunteer drivers ride free in exchange for driving and coordination responsibilities. Primary drivers can use the Metro Vanpool van for some personal trips (up to 250 miles per month). Primary drivers and back-up drivers receive an annual stipend ($100 and $50, respectively) after six months of driving.