|Transportation Commissioner Charlie Zelle today announced $1 billion in state road and bridge projects that will be worked on statewide this year. The 211 projects, many of which are already underway, will help keep the state’s roads and bridges in good working condition, improve safety for motorists and support thousands of construction jobs across the state.
Zelle also announced 57 multimodal projects valued at $47 million. These include airport, port and railroad projects that are outside of the state road construction program.
2017 road and bridge construction season
Among the highlights of this year’s construction season is the anticipated completion of the St. Croix River Crossing between Stillwater, Minn., and St. Joseph, Wis., and the relocation of Highway 53 in Virginia, Minn., that includes the construction of what will be the tallest bridge in Minnesota.
Big projects in the Twin Cities metro area this year include:
- I-94, Minneapolis to Brooklyn Center
- I-94, St. Paul to Maplewood
- I-35W/Lake Street in Minneapolis
- Hwy 169
- I-694 in Arden Hills, Shoreview, Vadnais Heights and Little Canada
For a complete list of projects, including construction dates and traffic impacts, visit www.mndot.gov/roadwork/current.
Watch for orange cones
Because of the number of work zones motorists will encounter as crews perform road construction and maintenance work this construction season, MnDOT asks drivers to be alert on the road this summer. MnDOT urges motorists to:
- Check www.511mn.org for up-to-date information about traffic and road conditions
- Minimize distractions (e.g., don’t use cell phones or eat or drink while driving)
- Follow posted speed limits; fine double in work zones
- Expect delays, especially during peak travel times
Stay informed about projects and other transportation topics by connecting to MnDOT via social media and by signing up to receive email updates.